After a full day of working on this shot, five more stitches and at least 8 hours of control point and ghost removal I have succumbed to the fact that I made too many mistakes when shooting this image. I will publish a final crop of what made it, but this will likely never make it to print and I doubt I upload a full size version. Chalk this one up to a learning experience.
After initial reviews I have discarded all but two brackets of this piece, so I'm now stitching only 126 images. Removing those layers did mean I had to re-work a lot of control point links. I've also had to spend a lot of time trying to hide HDR ghosts. All in all about 4 hours of work, and just over 100 CPU hours of stitching (three more stitches). I've found several flaws that may not be fixable, and I'm still trying to hide ghosts. I've learned a good bit about trying to shoot in high traffic areas, and discovered the hard way that parallax is much more important indoors. While some crop's may be cool, and I'll likely still upload something, I'm not going to promote this one too much. I think I need some more practice on indoor work before I offer commercial real estate services, maybe the Basilica ?
Having narrowed the stitch down to 335 images, it took a bit to find the extra four frames (20 images) that were duplicates. The initial control point recognition showed me just how much work this would take, and after about an hour of control point tuning I ran the first stitch. I knew this wasn't going to yield a good product, but wanted to see where the focus needed to be. The new box made short work of this job, rendering in less than an hour. Over the course of the evening I spent about 3 more hours in control point tuning and ghost removal and ran three more stitches. Late in the evening I flattened a rendered image and loaded into a pano tour to explore. This is going to be a cool picture, here's a teaser:
After returning home, I thought I had lost a SD card with a few thousand pictures on it, but while cleaning up camera bags for another shoot I found the card and finally got the images downloaded. There were several mis-starts, but I did get a full pano, and the shots look interesting. I haven't done many indoor pano's (this will be my first published indoor work). At this point I realize that it may have been a bit ambitious for my initial attempt, with the broad sweeping curves, high foot traffic, and vast spaces of blank "white space" this was going to be a challenging piece.
This was an indoor shoot in the lobby of the Dali Musem in St Petersburg FL. It was a tough shoot, in that while I was allowed to take pictures, I was not allowed to use the tripod or set the robot on the floor in a more central location. I ended up shooting with the robot on the bar while my friend Casie and I enjoyed a beer. There was a lot of traffic, and several frames were paused and reshot.